A Glossary of Terms Used in the HBO Program "The Sopranos"
A friend of ours:
- Shorthand for introducing one made guy to another made guy. "A friend
of mine" is just another jamookon the street.
A trippa di zianata:
- "Your aunt's tripe."
- A bet that a bookie "writes" and for which you pay him his "
- The top level "Management" of an organized crime Family - the Boss,
Under Boss, and Consigliere.
- Anxiety, edginess, an upset stomach.
Anti Trust Violations:
- What authorities call the practice of carving out exclusive territories. Wiseguys
call them "mine."
- One who works with mobsters, but hasn't been asked to take the vow of
Omertá. An almost confirmed, or made guy.
- A phrase indicating membership in the Family. If there is a possibility for
promotion, then the books are open. If not, the books are closed.
- An organized crime Family.
- The head of the Family who runs the show. He decides who gets made and who
gets whacked. The boss also gets points from all Family business. See
- Salutation meaning rest his soul.
- Bootlegging untaxed cigarettes.
- A peasant or lower class.
- The Family member who leads a crew. Short for Capodecina.
- See Stugots.
- How ugly you are.
- What a pity. What a shame.
- To murder. Also whack, hit, pop, burn, put a contract out.
Code of silence:
- Not ratting on your colleagues once you've been pinched - no longer a
strong virtue in organized crime families. See Omertá.
Col tempo la foglia di gelso diventa seta:
- Old Italian saying meaning, "Time and patience change the mulberry leaf
Comare (also goomah,
goomar, or gomatta):
- Slang for girlfriend or mistress. No self-respecting wiseguy is without one.
- To walk in carrying a loaded gun. You shouldn't have lunch with a Russian
drug dealer unless you "come heavy."
- To be made. See made guy.
- A trusted Family advisor, who is always consulted before decisions are made,
as in Tom Hagen in The Godfather.
- Speed. In particular, crystal meth.
- The group of soldiers under the Capo's command.
- A young soldier striving to be made.
- FBI shorthand for Cooperating Witness.
- The head of the Family. See Boss.
- To keep for one's self. To be greedy.
- A special event card game for celebrities and other high rollers.
- Ugly face, something you call someone you don't like.
- An organized crime clan, like the Genoveses, the Gottis, or the Sopranos.
Fanook, or Finook:
- Derived from "finocchio" or fennel, a derogatory term for homsexual
or gay. I.E. people that wiseguys feel nervous around. A "mezzofinook"
is half gay, sissy, bi.
- The lure of a wiseguy to a nice Italian girl from the neighborhood.
- A grand. A thousand dollars. See large.
- (capo cuoll) Something to eat.
- Going crazy.
- The days before RICO.
Goomah (sometimes pronounced "goomar"):
- A Mafia mistress. Also comare.
Guests of the State or Guests of the Government:
- In prison. Doing time.
- To murder. See whack.
In the wind:
- After you leave the Witness Protection Program you are "in the wind,"
meaning you're on your own somewhere out there.
- Idiot, loser, lame brained. You know, a jamook.
- The interest paid to a loan shark for the loan. See vig.
- To lay low. Go into hiding.
- A thousand dollars, a grand, a G.
- FBI talk for la Cosa Nostra, or translated, "Our Thing."
- An indoctrinated member of the Family. Essentially, you pledge your allegiance
to the Boss and the Family for life. To even qualify, your mother has to
- Madonna, common expression meaning holy smoke, holy cow, holy shit.
- Going to war with a rival clan or Family.
- Placing the bullet in someone's body such that a specific message is sent
to that person's crew or Family. See through the
eye, and through the mouth.
- A single organized crime Family, OR all organized crime families together.
- Connected to the mob.
- One who is in the mob.
- To whip someone into shape by frightening the shit out of them.
Moe Green Special:
- Getting killed with a shot in the eye, like the character Moe Green in The
Godfather. One form of "sending a message."
- Derived from the Italian sausage, meaning a loser. As in "Guy's a
Mulignan (literal translation):
- Eggplant. Another word for African Americans. Also called "mooleys."
- FBI talk for Organized Crime.
- The much-vaunted Mafia vow of silence. In other words, don't rat on your
friends. Transgression is punishable by death.
- U'pazzu - crazy.
- A clan, or Family within the Mafia.
- Giving the Boss a cut of the deal.
- "Pleasure to meet you."
- To get caught by the cops.
- Percent of income. Cut.
- Poor person.
- An offense which the Justice Department can choose to "fold into"
a RICO statute. As in, "This charge could be tough. It could have predicates."
- The Witness Protection Program.
Pump and Dump:
- Standard practice for unethical stockbrokers. First drive up the price of
a small stock by "encouraging" investors to buy it ("pump")
and then sell your own shares ("dump") for a tidy profit.
- One who snitches or squeals after having been pinched.
- Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. Passed in 1970 to aid
the government in clamping down on organized crime activities, its scope
has since been broadened to prosecute insider traders and anti-abortion protesters.
- Ugly woman.
- An Italian pastry.
- To blackmail or try to get money from someone. Also to give someone a scare.
- The interest charged on loans by loan sharks.
- The business of loan sharking.
- The bottom level member of an organized crime Family, as in "foot soldiers."
- Cleaning up, hiding, or getting rid of evidence.
- Strunzo - piece of shit.
- From stu cazzo or u' cazzu, the testicles. Tony Soprano's boat is
- A percentage of the take. Tony gets a big taste from bookmaking or racketeering
but only a little taste from medical fraud.
- To take a percentage of someone's earnings.
This thing of ours:
- A mob Family, or the entire mob.
Through the eye:
- A message job through the eye to say "We're watching you!"
Through the mouth:
- A message job through the mouth to indicate that someone was a rat.
- Neapolitan derogatory term for black person. See Mulignan.
- The second in command to the Boss.
Va fa Napole:
- "Go to Naples" I.E. "Go to hell."
- The interest paid to a loan shark for the loan. Abbreviation of vigorish.
Usually two points or 2%. See juice.
Waste Management Business:
- Euphemism for organized crime.
- Showing off one's status in the organization by dressing the part. "Wearing
it" usually involves an Italian suit, a pinkie ring, a hankie in the
breast pocket, gold cufflinks, and other ornamentation. Silvio has his own
inimitable way of wearing it.
- To murder, pop, burn, put a contract out. See clip
- A made guy.
| Home |
The Times |